In my new job back at Stanford Hospital, I'm struck (and to be honest dealing emotionally in this newbie stage of working- I found myself bawling after watching Dirty Dancing the other night), on one of the greatest equalizers in life....cancer.
I know I'm already becoming a different person for the few hours I've shared with my patients who's life has halted at this nasty yet beautiful? equalizer in life. The beauty I think comes from realizing maybe for the first time or not for a long time what really matters to you. For me its my faith in God and my family. This past Sunday at church held more meaning than it has in a long long time. And the nasty part....the fight and anger in getting to the beauty part of it all.
And what do I really know about that journey...not very much, thank God. I just feel so privileged to be able to walk alongside these individuals two times a week.

3 comments:
Jamie-what a wonderful picture. When life 'halts' due to suffering it's always hard to look and imagine that everyone else is just going on like normal.
I am also thankful I haven't walked the road personally, but I'm thankful these families have you!
JAMIE:
I am so excited that you have taken on this new job. What a privilege you have to walk beside someone during their final months, weeks or days. Your mere presence can be a comfort to their family.
The days in the hospital with a loved one dying of cancer run together. You don't want to leave for fear of anything happening while you're gone. Visitors are a wonderful distraction...but there is nothing like connecting with a nurse, doctor or hospital staff. They can bring a sense of comfort like no other.
There was a nurse on the cancer ward here in Columbus. She was older and wore the traditional nursing outfit from the 50s/60s complete with small hat. She brought movies that she personally owned to share with our family....she popped in before she left for the night EVEN if she wasn't scheduled to care for us that night. She left an imprint into our life at a very hard time.
I'll be praying for you as you navigate through these days. I'm sure they will be bittersweet.....I'm grateful that I have a friend who is willing to give selflessly to others facing this trial.
Holly
Wow..that just hit me reading your blog! I have signed up to bring meals to 2 girls that are going through chemo...it just brings it all into perspective. I'm sure you are such a blessing! What a great ministry...
Post a Comment