You try to post a photo to Facebook and realize that Facebook is NOT allowed in China. (I later discovered you can access FB via mobile phone. just not computer)
You lock up your computers when you leave the hotel room since one of you is employed by Google. And China is not a huge fan of Google.
We feel like the paparazzi are always with us when we are walking the streets with our 3 BOYS who are blue eyed, blond & fair skinned. (We have had dozens of people ask us over and over....3 boys? 3 boys? We forgot how prized boys are in Chinese culture.)
Cokes are $.25, Boxes of cereal are $1.50 and an entire dinner was $3!!!
There is no 'easy anything' (except for Starbucks & McDonald's)....like finding diapers. You must have the concierge translate 'diaper' into Chinese and then call around to department stores to find which one carries diapers. And then walk 15 minutes to get them.
We marvel at the activity and camaraderie we saw in the 'over 60 plus' generation. The parks we visited were full of ballroom dancing, tai chi, playing jianzi (kicking a little weighted ball between players), badminton, organized exercise on park equipment, and on & on.....And all being done by the over 60 generation!!! I loved this part of the Chinese culture more than anything else.
I was moved while hearing stories of the continuing support of the 'one child family' policy. One guide explained that 95% of Beijing population was subject to this law, while a mere 5% were allowed a second child. Termination and death at birth are still very much accepted and understood. (The conversation with the guide was prompted again by the fact that I have THREE SONS. completely unheard of in Chinese culture)
We finally had some true Autumn weather....crisp blue skies, changing leaves, pumpkins...It was such a treat to this fall loving gal. And my favorite spot to experience the fall weather was the Great Wall. So beautiful. I can't wait to go back someday....preferably without preschool and toddler aged children:)
We walk into a restaurant and are handed a laminated card with photos of the food selections. Works for me.
People giggle when Charlie & Max practice their Mandarin. Not very encouraging for the boys who are being brave to try out a new language. But I'm sure it sounds very foreign and cute on the other end.
Jeff describes our China trip, and more importantly our Great Wall visit, as 1/4 of the motivation for us moving to Singapore. Imagine the pressure on this trip! (I think it was successful. It was one of the hardest weeks of our life...culture wise, parenting and marriage wise...and yet we all left with some great memories.) And the box was ticked.
Some things do start to come full circle
(or 1/4 of the circle I guess)
I am beginning to find things to love about Asia and its rich culture.
That was MY 1/4's of motivation for moving to Singapore.
The three little monkey's below are the final 3/4's motivation.
The three little monkey's below are the final 3/4's motivation.


No comments:
Post a Comment